Fall is in full swing here in Nashville, Tennessee, and that means it’s time to prep our homes for colder and wetter weather. Figuring out where to start can be stressful, and knowing what to leave up to the professionals can be overwhelming. Here’s a quick checklist to make sure the outside of your house is in the best shape possible before winter weather hits.
- Check for peeling paint. If left uncorrected, peeling and cracked paint can leave your exterior walls vulnerable to water and ice damage.
- Caulk your windows. Caulking window edges ensures that the warm air stays inside your house, and the cold air stays out.
- Weatherproof outside faucets and spigots. Turn off the water from inside the house, let all the water in the pipes drain from the faucet, and then secure a foam cover around the faucet. These foam covers can usually be found at home improvement stores for under $5.
- Seal the driveway and deck. Existing cracks in driveway pavement or wooden decks can be exacerbated and made worse by the freeze-thaw effect, potentially costing you way more than a coat of sealant.
- Fireplace/chimney inspection. Before you light your first fall fire, make sure to have a Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA)-certified technician inspect (and if necessary, sweep) your chimney. They can prep your chimney and get your fireplace fire-ready by removing creosote, and checking for loose, cracked, or damaged masonry.
- Roof inspection. Your roof is practically the only thing between you and the cold winds outside; have a professional make sure it’s in good condition with no damaged or missing shingles.
- Clean the gutters. Clogged gutters can cause ice dams and lead to serious water damage.
If you’re having trouble keeping your gutters cleaned out this winter, call Gutterman, Middle Tennessee’s gutter protection experts. We specialize in SafeGuard Gutter Guards that are designed to allow water and the smallest debris flow through your gutters, while protecting your system from leaves and small branches. This system is attached directly to your existing gutters. If you’re looking for an entire new system, check out K-Guard. This system is guaranteed to keep your gutters clog-free for life.
Your home should keep you safe, warm, and dry during the winter. If your gutters are preventing that, call Gutterman of Tennessee today for an estimate!